I can’t consider it has been a 12 months. However certainly it was December 28, 2021, when I welcomed boisterous eight-old-month Lewis into my life.
If you wish to see the listing of issues I first recognized as difficulties, right here it’s. However as an alternative of making a progress report based mostly on that listing, I’m simply going to put in writing concerning the methods we have now discovered to reside effectively collectively.
Lewis’ and My Achievements, Successes, and Enjoyable
• Lewis’ door-related behaviors are good. He waits till I take a look at the yard and inform him to go forward, and can proceed to attend if I cue the opposite canine to exit first. I by no means did particular coaching on launch cues, however he is aware of when I’m cuing the opposite canine and never him. Ready on the door is for the canine’ security, not some sort of dominance rule!
• I taught Lewis by way of classical conditioning that driving within the automotive is cool and results in nice adventures. I needed to go slowly at first, as a result of he had points with each the crate confinement and the motion of the automotive. In some unspecified time in the future, I’ll write a publish about it. He loves going locations, together with to the vet, the place he lived for greater than a month as a pet.
• Lewis and I’ve an awesome play relationship. He’s recreation to play something. Tug, balls, fetch, and something that entails operating. (See the video!)
• He loves coaching video games, too.
• He has actually taken to nosework, shock!
• He settles the place I ask him to on the mattress at night time (somewhat than pushing Clara round).
• I haven’t labored a lot on extending crate period, however he hangs out within the crate typically, and I ask him to go in there for brief durations with the door shut for administration. He eats most meals in there.
• I taught him the family’s sleeping schedule; he’s not on vet clinic time. In reality, I needed to stand up sooner than typical yesterday, and he stayed in mattress and declined to return alongside after I supplied to take him exterior!
• He has discovered to get pleasure from walks. He walks decently on lead, largely as a result of his regular tempo is slower than mine due to sniffing. However we have now labored on it as effectively. A lot of his worry of recent issues is gone.
• He’s made a few human buddies on our walks and reveals reasonably good greeting manners even whereas being thrilled out of his thoughts.
• He has a good recall, and I do know we will work it as much as nice.
• He has been very cooperative throughout some durations after I or my companion was not feeling effectively and I didn’t have time to play and do issues with him. He was in a position to loosen up and settle for the downtime with the remainder of the family. This was a very long time coming, however who can blame him! Teenager!
• He has made buddies with the neighbor canine on either side of the yard: doodles on one aspect and Danes and a Border collie on the opposite. We incorporate them into our video games; when he’s taking part in with me, he can even run to every fence to incorporate them (or, typically, taunt them). He goes on his personal typically, and typically I cue him to do it (“Go see your pals!”). You’ll see this within the video.
• He holds again from going for dropped meals or different objects and doesn’t lunge for different canine’ treats.
• He waits his flip quietly when I’m coaching different canine (thank goodness!). He may even station in the identical room whereas I practice one other canine, though we haven’t labored on it a lot since I wrote about it final Might.
• He stays mouthy however not grabs sleeves, and infrequently tries to seize issues out of my arms.
• He’s affectionate and continues to be good-natured.
• He’s enjoyable!
Listed below are some highlights of our 12 months collectively.